Legal Director, Manchester
Prior to joining FS Legal as a Legal Director in September 2022, John has occupied partner-level roles at a number of well-established legal practices in the North-West of England and headed legal teams.
With over 28 years’ litigation experience and as a qualified mediator, John has enjoyed particular expertise and success in high value , complex and technical disputes covering a wide array of clients and business sectors. In recent years he developed a niche in banking and financial services litigation.
John’s previous role as an In-house legal adviser for a major PLC provided a valuable and first-hand appreciation of the drivers and commercial objectives of a business, an essential starting point in formulating a resolution strategy for clients.
Noted in previous editions of the Legal 500 as “Brilliant” for Commercial Litigation and “highly regarded” for Banking Litigation. Further client testimonial provided directly to Legal 500 noted:
- “John Colvin is an emerging legal superstar. John’s attention to detail, coupled with all-encompassing knowledge of the law, makes him a formidable talent. He is constantly a step ahead of the competition”
- “John’s ability to provide clarity in the midst of complex multifaceted legal arguments makes him an invaluable ally”
- “John Colvin is a Master of his trade. John’s ability to anticipate and out-think anyone else in the room is as compelling as it is rare. John is not simply a solicitor, he is also a legal strategist and a trusted advisor”
- “Calm, considered and exceptionally good at his job, John Colvin is a need to have, not a nice to have”
- Financial Conduct Authority v Steel & Foster
Acting for the Defendants in a ground breaking claim in which the FCA is seeking to redefine the liability of directors and officers in independent financial advice businesses; the allegation being that Mr Steel and Ms Foster are responsible for negligently advising approximately 500 clients, the value of the claim being in excess of £7M.
- Lead Partner in a substantial £75M claim brought on behalf of a HNW Family Trust involving complex derivative products and assertions of duress and unconscionable conduct against a major Commercial Bank.
- Lead Partner in an appeal of a £10M claim on behalf of a Brewery against a major financial institution, where documentation that had not been disclosed undermined the propriety of the evidence advanced at trial.
- Lead Partner in claims of Malicious Prosecution and Misfeasance in a Public Office arising out of the failed prosecution of a various individuals involved in the formation and promotion of a Tax Avoidance Scheme. £30M.
- Lead Partner acting for a Harbour owner and well-known Cornwall-based Hospitality entrepreneur who succeeded after a four-day hearing in the Land Tribunal arguing for the proper construction of an overage clause in the context of a harbour development.
- Acting in a Partnership dispute between family members arising out of a well-known sculpture business that was settled prior to the conclusion of trial. Trial reported in the Daily Mail and Evening Standard. £10M.
- Advising in a dispute with a City Council arising out of interference with existing contractual relation and acting in bad faith to undermine the commercial development of city-centre real estate. £90M.
- Lead Partner in resolving a claim on behalf of a US- based finance broker for commissions arising out of investment sourced for a large Claims Management Company.
- Lead adviser defending in its entirety a complex claim against a HNW individual involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation and claims against high value real estate, along with a substantial net payment to the client in terms of counterclaim and legal costs. Individuals involved well-known in the Manchester business and real Estate community and featured in press articles (Manchester Evening News).
2022 – Date – FS Legal
2021-2022- Glenville Walker , Partner
2020-2021- Escalate Disputes Limited (a litigation Funder) , Partner
2017-2020- Kennedys (following merger with Berg), Senior Associate
2012-2017- Berg, Partner
2010-2012- In-House Counsel and Advocate, Speedy Hire Plc
What John Colvin’s clients say:
John never allows the other side to get the upper hand. He is constantly a step ahead of the competition, and manages to convert defensive positions into opportunities for robust counter-attack.
John has been the calm in the midst of the storm, and has steered this legal case through the choppiest of waters. John is a safe pair of hands in serious times.
John anticipates every possible scenario, and has a solution prepared before you even knew you needed it. When you are dealing with a high-stakes legal case, you need John Colvin on your side - it's really that simple.
When you choose FS Legal you are hiring an entire team of professionals, not just a select group of lead lawyers – this is the FS Legal difference, and the difference is everything. I have no hesitation in recommending the entire FS Legal team.